Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Sorry, Miss O

I love, love, love me some Oprah. Although I don't always agree with all her opinions on politics, religion, etc, etc, I really do think she is a wonderful example of someone who has worked hard and truly uses her fame & fortune to change the lives of other people. Plus, there's something about the sound of her voice that is extremely comforting to me.

And since I work from home, I am generally able to watch her show every day. Which I love. But yesterday, Oprah brought me the first true NSV I feel like I've had in a long time.

I'm sure everyone has probably heard about Oprah's "No Phone Zone" campaign. Basically its about no texting or talking on your phone while you're in the car driving. And what started this campaign was a show she did about people who were killed by a driver who was texting. I am guilty of this sometimes, but lately I have been making myself put the phone down if I catch myself doing it. It is so true that you take your eyes off the road for 75% of the time you are texting. I'm really trying to make a point not to do this anymore.

However, for whatever reason, I missed the first airing of the show that started it all. And they were rerunning it for Oprah's show yesterday. Last week I saw the commercial and wrote myself a note to make sure and watch Oprah on Tuesday.

Well, yesterday rolled around. Work literally exploded in my face and I was busy all day. The next thing I knew, I looked up at the clock and it was 3:45. Oprah was about to come on. I had not worked out yet. I'm sure you can see where this is going.

Yes, dear people, I skipped Oprah and worked out instead. Even though I really, really wanted to see that show. I wanted to see what inspired her to feel so passionately about this subject. But I didn't. I didn't see the show because I made the decision to work out instead.

After a few weeks of going through the motions to get back into my healthy lifestyle, I finally feel like my mentality has caught up. I am no longer just going through the motions. I worked out because I knew that if I didn't do it right then, I wouldn't do it. And I knew that I would feel much better last night if I had worked out. And you know what? I'm pretty sure Oprah would rather me have gotten my work out in instead of watching her show.

I've also noticed again how much daily exercise just naturally cuts my appetite. I haven't had that "I want to eat everything and anything regardless of my hunger level" feeling in a while. However, I did indulge in a little too much pizza and birthday cake at my niece's 6th birthday party on Saturday. But that's been it this week and I'm looking forward to my weigh in on Friday.

I'll let you know how it goes. I'm expecting good things.

No comments:

Post a Comment